During the Chandela rule Khajuraho was home to a large Jain community who lived in the eastern side of Khajuraho. A number of Jain temples from that period is now located in the eastern complex about 10 mins from the western group of Khajuraho temples. Parsvanath temple is the largest Jain temple in Khajuraho is also located in this part of Khajuraho. Few inscriptions apart from the stone carvings can be seeh at the Parsvanath Temple Read More
The Southern group of temples in Khajuraho is located slightly away from the other groups of temples. Duladeo and Chaturbhuj temples are the main temples in the southern group of temples in Khajuraho. The Duladeo or “the newly married woman” is a Shiva temple. Tall Chaturbhuj temple, about 1 ˝ km away from Duladeo temple is dedicated to Vishnu.
There are many interpretations of the erotic carvings. It has been suggested that the carvings depicts tantric sexual practices however there is no documentation or evidence that suggest the exact meaning or purpose of the carvings in Khajuraho temples.
Khajuraho temples were built over a span of 200 years between 950 to 1150 during the reign of the Chandela kings. The Khajuraho temples are made of sandstone and no mortar is used. The columns and architraves are built with megaliths that weigh up to 20 tons. Although the Khajuraho temples get into the limelight due to the sexually explicit carvings on its walls, its less than 20% of the total sculptures and stone carvings in Khajuraho.